Saturday, May 24, 2008

Interview with the Prophet Muhammad

A Facebook friend asked a very interesting question: If I were a journalist assigned to interview the Prophet Muhammad (S.), what would i ask him?

And I repled:

If I were a journalist who had the opportunity to interview the prophet Muhammad (S.) here's what I hope I would ask:

I would ask him to clarify how we should practice Islam in this post-modern, multi-cultural, globalized, pluralistic context. I would ask him what the essential points of faith and practice are and how to carry them out in the context of such times as these.

I would ask him if and how we Americans can de-Arabize and de-Wahhabicize Islam. I would ask him how he viewed both Muslims among the Sufis and the Wahhabis.

I would ask him to end all violence in the name (i.e., the pretense) of Islam.

I would ask him if we could practice Islamic non-violence as modeled and described by Gandhi's colleague Badshah Khan, Chaiwat Sathanand (of Thailand), Bawa Muhayideen (of sri Lanka and Philadephia, PA, USA) and Abdurrahmna Gus Dur Wahid (once president of Indonesia and leader of Nahdlatul Ulama, the worlds largest Muslim organization [40 million members]).

I would ask him what he thought of Pir-o-Murshid Hazrat Inayat Khan and Murshid Sufi Ahmad Murad Chishti and how they brought Sufism to America. I would ask him for a fatwa forbidding violence and retaliation.

And I would ask him how he liked Mevlana Jalauddin Rumi!

Wa Allahu 'Alim

Thanks for that great question,

1 comment:

Michael Kovitz said...

Yes, and I would ask Him, and may Allah be most pleased with Him, to lead me to that state of worthiness where all questions and answers are consumed in the fire of longing and ultimately extinguished in the state Divine Union. For God knows all, and God knows best...